Friday, April 27, 2012
On Saturday, April 28, a portion of the Red Line in Beechview will close for much of the day due to rail replacement. Then on Sunday, April 29, all Downtown/North Shore T stations beyond Steel Plaza will be temporarily closed in the morning due to power supply work, affecting both Red Line and Blue Line.
Saturday’s partial Red Line closure will be in effect from approximately 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
During the work, service to Red Line stops will be provided by a combination of detoured Red Line service, bus shuttles and local light rail shuttles.
Red Line service will detour in both directions over the Overbrook line (where Blue Line T service operates), serving its normal stops Downtown, at Station Square and at South Hills Junction, then serving Boggs through Willow stations before continuing on its regular routing to South Hills Village. At Willow, riders can transfer to a local light rail shuttle that will operate in both directions between Overbrook Junction and Potomac.
Bus shuttles will offer inbound and outbound service to riders who use Red Line stops between Station Square and Potomac Station, with shuttle stops located close to T stops. At Station Square, riders may transfer to buses or the T to continue into Downtown Pittsburgh. At Potomac, riders may transfer to the local light rail shuttle for service to stops between Kelton and Overbrook Junction.
Transfers required for this detour will be at no additional cost to riders.
See map below for more details.
View Red Line Detour: Sat., April 28 in a larger map
Sunday’s Downtown/North Shore station closures will be in effect from the morning’s start of service until around 10 a.m.
Light rail service in Downtown will terminate at Steel Plaza during this time. Inbound riders wishing to continue further can pick up a special free bus shuttle outside Steel Plaza, which will make stops at all remaining Downtown and North Shore stations.
Outbound riders at Allegheny, North Side, Gateway and Wood Street stations can pick up the bus shuttle to Steel Plaza, where they will be able to transfer to southbound T service.
For more information on this weekend’s detours, contact Customer Service at 412-442-2000 or for TTY, 412-231-7007.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Both Red Line and Blue Line service will detour inbound via the former Brown Line (Allentown) from approximately 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, bypassing Station Square’s inbound platform.
During this time, inbound T riders wishing to travel to Station Square have two options:
- Transfer at no additional cost to any inbound 39-40-41-Y46-Y47-Y49 bus at South Hills Junction and get off at Station Square.
- Ride the T to Downtown, then transfer to an outbound T back to Station Square.
Outbound T service will remain on regular route during the rail work and Station Square’s outbound platform will be served.
For more information, call Customer Service at 412-442-2000 or for TTY, 412-231-7007.
Friday, April 13, 2012
If you haven't checked it out yet, find more information on how to ride at TPlus.org and PortAuthority.org.
Want to learn even more about it? Check out our roundup of North Shore Connector stories, videos, photo galleries and even a song:
- Beaver County Times: "Light Rail Extension Makes Pittsburgh Connection."
- Business Times: "Slideshow: North Shore Connector."
- Essential Public Radio: "North Shore Connector Wins Construction Award" and radio interview on North Shore Connector with Port Authority Rail Operations/Engineer Officer Winston Simmonds.
- KDKA-TV: "Dignitaries Take Ride on North Shore Connector" and "Commuters Get First Taste of North Shore Connector."
- Mass Transit magazine: "Port Authority of Allegheny County Opens North Shore Connector."
- Pop City: "Photo Slide Show: The North Shore Connector"
- Post-Gazette: Video of first ride on March 25 and story "Romare Bearden's Tile Mural Once Again Shows His Love for City and its People."
- Sewickley Herald: "Connector Opening to Bring Changes."
- Steelers.com: North Shore Connector press conference photo gallery.
- Tribune-Review: "Port Authority's New North Shore Connector Ready for March 25 Opening, Officials Say" and "North Shore Train Opens for Historic 1.2-mile Trip Under Allegheny River."
- WDVE Radio: "Under the North Side" song.
- WPXI-TV: "North Shore Connector Opens to Public Sunday."
- WTAE-TV: "Video: Channel 4 Takes Ride on North Shore Connector."
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
The Customer Service phone line will be open Friday from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Port Authority's Twitter account will not be staffed on Good Friday.
On Saturday and Easter Sunday, the Customer Service phone line will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and transit service will follow Saturday and Sunday schedules, respectively.